- Ambre Davat
- Fabienne Martin-Juchat
Background: RealWorld4Clinic is a European consortium that is currently developing an implantable monitoring device for acute heart failure prevention.
Objective: This study aimed to identify the main issues and information needs related to this new cardiac implant from the patients’ perspective.
Methods: A total of 3 patient collaborators were recruited to help us design the study. During 4 remotely held meetings (each lasting for 2 hours), we defined the main questions and hypotheses together. Next, 26 additional interviews were conducted remotely to test these hypotheses. During both phases, we used affect stories, which are life narratives focusing on affect and the relationship between patients and the care ecosystem, to highlight the main social issues that should be addressed by the research according to the patients.
Results: Context of diagnosis, age, and severity of illness strongly influence patient experience. However, these variables do not seem to influence the choice regarding being implanted, which relies mostly on the individual patient’s trust in their physicians. It seems that the major cause of anxiety for the patient is not the implant but the disease itself, although some people may initially be concerned over the idea of becoming a cyborg. Remote monitoring of cardiac implants should draw on existing remote disease management programs focusing on a long-term relationship between the patient and their medical team.
Conclusions: Co-design with affect stories is a useful method for quickly identifying the main social issues related to information about a new health technology.
- The Handbook of Multidisciplinary and Integrated Heart Failure Care. The Heart Failure Policy Network. 2018 Sep. URL: https://www.healthpolicypartnership.com/app/uploads/The-handbook-of-multidisciplinary-and-integrated-heart-failure-care.pdf [accessed 2021-07-08]
- Greenhalgh T, A’Court C, Shaw S. Understanding heart failure; explaining telehealth – a hermeneutic systematic review. BMC Cardiovasc Disord 2017 Jun 14;17(1):156 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Desnos M, Jourdain P. Telemedicine: a promising solution for heart failure? Bull l’Acad Natl Méd 2020 Oct;204(8):817-825. [CrossRef]
- Andres E, Talha S, Hajjam M, Hajjam A. State of art of the French telemedicine projects in the field of chronic heart failure. J Clin Med Ther 2018 May 18;3(2):8.
- Zulfiqar AA, Hajjam A, Gény B, Talha S, Hajjam M, Hajjam J, et al. Telemedicine and cardiology in the elderly in France: inventory of experiments. Adv Prev Med 2019 Jan 21;2019:2102156 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Le Douarin Y, Traversino Y, Graciet A, Josseran A, participants of Giens XXXV Round Table Health‚ economy. Telemonitoring and experimentation in telemedicine for the improvement of healthcare pathways (ETAPES program). Sustainability beyond 2021: what type of organisational model and funding should be used? Therapie 2020;75(1):43-56. [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Adamson PB. Pathophysiology of the transition from chronic compensated and acute decompensated heart failure: new insights from continuous monitoring devices. Curr Heart Fail Rep 2009 Dec;6(4):287-292. [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Dopierala C, Guméry PY, Frikha MR, Thiébault JJ, Cinquin P, Boucher F. Digital Implantable Gastric Stethoscope for the detection of early signs of acute cardiac decompensation in patients with chronic heart failure. In: Actes de l’Atelier IA and Santé. 2019 Presented at: IA and Santé ’19; July 1, 2019; Toulouse, France URL: https://ia-sante-2019.sciencesconf.org/data/actes_atelier_IA_Sante2019.pdf
- Kiran AH, Oudshoorn N, Verbeek PP. Beyond checklists: toward an ethical-constructive technology assessment. J Responsible Innov 2015 Jan 13;2(1):5-19. [CrossRef]
- Palm E, Hansson SO. The case for ethical technology assessment (eTA). Technol Forecast Soc Change 2006 Jun;73(5):543-558. [CrossRef]
- ten Have H. Ethical perspectives on health technology assessment. Int J Technol Assess Health Care 2004;20(1):71-76. [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Louise L, Boaz A. Drawing straight lines along blurred boundaries: qualitative research, patient and public involvement in medical research, co-production and co-design. Evid Policy 2019 Aug 01;15(3):409-421. [CrossRef]
- Clough PT. The affective turn: political economy, biomedia and bodies. Theory Culture Soc 2008 Jan 01;25(1):1-22. [CrossRef]
- Davidson RJ, Sherer KR, Goldsmith HH. Handbook of Affective Sciences. Oxford, UK: Oxford University Press; 2009.
- Norman DA. Emotional Design: Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things. New York, NY, USA: Basic Books; 2004.
- Scherer KR. What are emotions? And how can they be measured? Soc Sci Inf 2005 Dec;44(4):695-729. [CrossRef]
- Gross JJ, Barrett LF. Emotion generation and emotion regulation: one or two depends on your point of view. Emot Rev 2011 Jan;3(1):8-16 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Martin-Juchat F, Pierre J, Dumas A. Distraction and boredom: students faced to digital economy. Stud Media Commun 2015 May 29;3(1):134-143. [CrossRef]
- Therapeutic patient education: continuing education programmes for health care providers in the field of prevention of chronic diseases: report of a WHO working group. World Health Organization, Regional Office for Europe. Copenhagen, Denmark: WHO Regional Office for Europe; 1998. URL: https://www.euro.who.int/__data/assets/pdf_file/0007/145294/E63674.pdf [accessed 2022-01-10]
- Anderson RM, Funnell MM. Patient empowerment: myths and misconceptions. Patient Educ Couns 2010 Jun;79(3):277-282 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- D’Ivernois JF, Albano MG. Therapeutic Patient Education: a new deal for medical education? Med Teach 2010;32(12):945-946. [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Groenewegen A, Rutten FH, Mosterd A, Hoes AW. Epidemiology of heart failure. Eur J Heart Fail 2020 Aug;22(8):1342-1356 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Bennett JA, Riegel B, Bittner V, Nichols J. Validity and reliability of the NYHA classes for measuring research outcomes in patients with cardiac disease. Heart Lung 2002;31(4):262-270. [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Obiegło M, Uchmanowicz I, Wleklik M, Jankowska-Polańska B, Kuśmierz M. The effect of acceptance of illness on the quality of life in patients with chronic heart failure. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs 2016 Jun;15(4):241-247. [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Oudshoorn N. Sustaining cyborgs: sensing and tuning agencies of pacemakers and implantable cardioverter defibrillators. Soc Stud Sci 2015 Feb;45(1):56-76. [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Matchett M, Sears SF, Hazelton G, Kirian K, Wilson E, Nekkanti R. The implantable cardioverter defibrillator: its history, current psychological impact and future. Expert Rev Med Devices 2009 Jan;6(1):43-50. [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Figueroa C, Alcocer L, Ramos B. Psychological intervention to modify anxiety, depression and quality of life in patients with an implantable pacemaker. Psychology 2016 Mar;07(03):374-381. [CrossRef]
- Burns JL, Serber ER, Keim S, Sears SF. Measuring patient acceptance of implantable cardiac device therapy: initial psychometric investigation of the Florida Patient Acceptance Survey. J Cardiovasc Electrophysiol 2005 Apr;16(4):384-390. [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Pedersen SS, Spindler H, Johansen JB, Mortensen PT, Sears SF. Correlates of patient acceptance of the cardioverter defibrillator: cross-validation of the Florida Patient Acceptance Survey in Danish patients. Pacing Clin Electrophysiol 2008 Sep;31(9):1168-1177. [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Bedair R, Babu-Narayan SV, Dimopoulos K, Quyam S, Doyle AM, Swan L, et al. Acceptance and psychological impact of implantable defibrillators amongst adults with congenital heart disease. Int J Cardiol 2015 Feb 15;181:218-224 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Stoevelaar R, Brinkman-Stoppelenburg A, Bhagwandien RE, van Bruchem-Visser RL, Theuns DA, van der Heide A, et al. The incidence and impact of implantable cardioverter defibrillator shocks in the last phase of life: an integrated review. Eur J Cardiovasc Nurs 2018 Aug;17(6):477-485 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Lomborg S, Langstrup H, Andersen TO. Interpretation as luxury: heart patients living with data doubt, hope, and anxiety. Big Data Soc 2020 May 08;7(1):205395172092443. [CrossRef]
- Kotalczyk A, Kalarus Z, Wright DJ, Boriani G, Lip GY. Cardiac electronic devices: future directions and challenges. Med Devices (Auckl) 2020 Sep 25;13:325-338 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Kusumoto FM, Schoenfeld MH, Wilkoff BL, Berul CI, Birgersdotter-Green UM, Carrillo R, et al. 2017 HRS expert consensus statement on cardiovascular implantable electronic device lead management and extraction. Heart Rhythm 2017 Dec;14(12):e503-e551. [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Pun PH, Schumm D, Sanders GD, Hickey D, Middleton JP, Clapp-Channing N, et al. A pilot study using an implantable device to characterize cardiac arrhythmias in hemodialysis patients: implications for future research. Ann Noninvasive Electrocardiol 2012 Apr;17(2):159 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Bisignani A, De Bonis S, Mancuso L, Ceravolo G, Bisignani G. Implantable loop recorder in clinical practice. J Arrhythm 2019 Feb;35(1):25-32 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- El Hage N, Jaar BG, Cheng A, Knight C, Blasco-Colmenares E, Gimenez L, et al. Frequency of arrhythmia symptoms and acceptability of implantable cardiac monitors in Hemodialysis patients. BMC Nephrol 2017 Oct 10;18(1):309 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Xu EJ, Boyer LL, Jaar BG, Ephraim PL, Gimenez L, Cheng A, et al. Patients’ and family members’ perspectives on arrhythmias and sudden death in dialysis: the HeartLink focus groups pilot study. BMC Nephrol 2021 May 27;22(1):199 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Skov MB, Johansen PG, Skov CS, Lauberg A. No news is good news: remote monitoring of implantable cardioverter-defibrillator patients. In: Proceedings of the 33rd Annual ACM Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems. 2015 Apr Presented at: CHI ’15; April 18-23, 2015; Seoul, South Korea p. 827-836. [CrossRef]
- Pols J, Moser I. Cold technologies versus warm care? On affective and social relations with and through care technologies. Alter 2009 Apr;3(2):159-178. [CrossRef]
- Liljeroos M, Thylén I, Strömberg A. Patients’ and nurses’ experiences and perceptions of remote monitoring of implantable cardiac defibrillators in heart failure: cross-sectional, descriptive, mixed methods study. J Med Internet Res 2020 Sep 28;22(9):e19550 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Andersen TO, Andersen PR, Kornum AC, Larsen TM. Understanding patient experience: a deployment study in cardiac remote monitoring. In: Proceedings of the 11th EAI International Conference on Pervasive Computing Technologies for Healthcare. 2017 May Presented at: PervasiveHealth ’17; May 23-26, 2017; Barcelona, Spain p. 221-230. [CrossRef]
- Pour-Ghaz I, Hana D, Raja J, Ibebuogu UN, Khouzam RN. CardioMEMS: where we are and where can we go? Ann Transl Med 2019 Sep;7(17):418 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Singh R, Varjabedian L, Kaspar G, Zughaib M. CardioMEMS in a busy cardiology practice: less than optimal implementation of a valuable tool to reduce heart failure readmissions. Cardiol Res Pract 2018 Nov 7;2018:4918757 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Riegel B, Dunbar SB, Fitzsimons D, Freedland KE, Lee CS, Middleton S, et al. Self-care research: where are we now? Where are we going? Int J Nurs Stud 2021 Apr;116:103402 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Hood SR, Giazzon AJ, Seamon G, Lane KA, Wang J, Eckert GJ, et al. Association between medication adherence and the outcomes of heart failure. Pharmacotherapy 2018 May;38(5):539-545. [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Jonkman NH, Westland H, Groenwold RH, Ågren S, Atienza F, Blue L, et al. Do self-management interventions work in patients with heart failure? An individual patient data meta-analysis. Circulation 2016 Mar 22;133(12):1189-1198 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Haynes SC, Pallin R, Tong K, Henderson S, Romano PS. Understanding adherence to the CardioMEMS pulmonary artery pressure monitoring system for heart failure: a qualitative study. Heart Lung 2020;49(3):251-258. [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Nieuwlaat R, Wilczynski N, Navarro T, Hobson N, Jeffery R, Keepanasseril A, et al. Interventions for enhancing medication adherence. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2014 Nov 20;2014(11):CD000011 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Bashi N, Karunanithi M, Fatehi F, Ding H, Walters D. Remote monitoring of patients with heart failure: an overview of systematic reviews. J Med Internet Res 2017 Jan 20;19(1):e18 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Veenis JF, Radhoe SP, Hooijmans P, Brugts JJ. Remote monitoring in chronic heart failure patients: is non-invasive remote monitoring the way to go? Sensors (Basel) 2021 Jan 28;21(3):887 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Blom JW, El Azzi M, Wopereis DM, Glynn L, Muth C, van Driel ML. Reporting of patient-centred outcomes in heart failure trials: are patient preferences being ignored? Heart Fail Rev 2015 Jul;20(4):385-392 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Grosjean S, Bonneville L, Redpath C. The design process of an mHealth technology: the communicative constitution of patient engagement through a participatory design workshop. ESSACHESS – J Commun Stud 2019 Jul 3;12(1):5-26.
- Aidemark J, Askenäs L, Nygårdh A, Strömberg A. User involvement in the co-design of self-care support systems for heart failure patients. Procedia Comput Sci 2015;64:118-124. [CrossRef]
- Hjelmfors L, Strömberg A, Friedrichsen M, Sandgren A, Mårtensson J, Jaarsma T. Using co-design to develop an intervention to improve communication about the heart failure trajectory and end-of-life care. BMC Palliat Care 2018 Jun 11;17(1):85 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Woods L, Duff J, Roehrer E, Walker K, Cummings E. Design of a consumer mobile health app for heart failure: findings from the nurse-led co-design of Care4myHeart. JMIR Nurs 2019 Sep 23;2(1):e14633 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Papoutsi C, Wherton J, Shaw S, Morrison C, Greenhalgh T. Putting the social back into sociotechnical: case studies of co-design in digital health. J Am Med Inform Assoc 2021 Feb 15;28(2):284-293 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Jaarsma T, Cameron J, Riegel B, Stromberg A. Factors related to self-care in heart failure patients according to the middle-range theory of self-care of chronic illness: a literature update. Curr Heart Fail Rep 2017 Apr;14(2):71-77 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Kessing D, Denollet J, Widdershoven J, Kupper N. Psychological determinants of heart failure self-care: systematic review and meta-analysis. Psychosom Med 2016 May;78(4):412-431. [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Strachan PH, Currie K, Harkness K, Spaling M, Clark AM. Context matters in heart failure self-care: a qualitative systematic review. J Card Fail 2014 Jun;20(6):448-455. [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Karimi M, Clark AM. How do patients’ values influence heart failure self-care decision-making?: a mixed-methods systematic review. Int J Nurs Stud 2016 Jul;59:89-104. [CrossRef] [Medline]
- Dimopoulos-Bick TL, O’Connor C, Montgomery J, Szanto T, Fisher M, Sutherland V, et al. “Anyone can co-design?”: a case study synthesis of six experience-based co-design (EBCD) projects for healthcare systems improvement in New South Wales, Australia. Patient Exp J 2019 Jul 24;6(2):93-104. [CrossRef]
- Beauvais F, Tartière L, Pezel T, Motet C, Aumont MC, Baudry G, et al. First symptoms and health care pathways in hospitalized patients with acute heart failure: ICPS2 survey. A report from the Heart Failure Working Group (GICC) of the French Society of Cardiology. Clin Cardiol 2021 Aug;44(8):1144-1150 [FREE Full text] [CrossRef] [Medline]